Lymphedema is an abnormal accumulation of protein-rich swelling, most often occurring in the extremities, resulting in reactive fibrosis and decreased immune function.
Northern Nevada Medical Center has a Certified Lymphedema Therapist who has received thorough and rigorous training in the Foeldi Method of Complete Decongestive Therapy (CDT), the therapeutic system regarded as the "Gold Standard" for the treatment of lymphedema by the International Society of Lymphology (ISL). Our therapist has completed the 135-hour coursework and is qualified to treat lymphedema (both primary and secondary), lipedema, phlebo-lymphostatic edema, chronic venous insufficiencies and post traumatic edema. CDT consists of an initial reductive phase (Phase 1) followed by a maintenance phase (Phase 2).
Goals of Complete Decongestive Therapy
The goals of CDT are to:
- Decrease swelling
- Increase lymph drainage from congested areas
- Reduce skin fibrosis and improve skin condition
- Enhance patient's functional status
- Relieve discomfort and improve quality of life
- Reduce the risk of cellulitis and Stewart-Treves Syndrome, a rare form of angiosarcoma
The treatment approach of CDT involves:
- Manual Lymph Drainage (MLD)
- Multi-layer, short stretch compression bandaging
- Skin and nail care
- Education in lymphedema self-management, and elastic compression garments